How to: Switching Away from Ursinus Provided Mobile Device Service


If you currently use an Ursinus College issued mobile device (powered by Verizon Wireless), you can buy back the mobile device (Phone, Tablet, Mifi, etc.) provided to you by Ursinus. Begin the process by contacting Tech Support.  If your mobile device is on a personal plan, this document does not apply to you.  


The Process

I want to buy back my mobile device (and keep my number or relinquish my number): 

  1. Start by requesting to buy-back your current active device via our Device Assistance service portal.  Please log in and provide mobile number, device type (model and manufacturer) and the current budget account that the device service is being charged to.  

  2. We will verify that you indeed have a college-owned mobile device with Verizon Wireless.

  3. We will provide an approved/appreciated estimate of the current value of your phone/device for you by determining the condition. You will answer the following questions in the form.  

    1. Does the device power on?

    2. Is the device fully functional and all parts of the screen light up correctly?

    3. Are the front and back free of cracks and the phone not damaged in any other way?

    4. What is the overall cosmetic condition?

  4. We provide you a form with updated value/cost info so you can fill in the remaining information and get it signed by your department’s authorized budget manager.

  5. You submit the filled-in form and payment to the Ursinus College Finance Office. 

  6. The final step is for you to send the purchase receipt to the Telecommunications Administrator (preferably by replying to your original ticket to for record keeping and release of your device service plan or just the phone number to you in your name. 

  7. You will have the ability at that point to cancel the mobile service account or transfer the account and number in your name to Verizon Wireless or another phone service provider of your choosing (includes family plans).

I want to cancel service and return my mobile device (and keep my number or relinquish my number):

  1. If you wish to give back your phone and retrieve just your number there is no cost associated and this can just be requested via our Device Assistance service portal. 

  2. We will work with you to release your phone number to you and give you the information necessary to transition your phone number with a new provider or not.  

I want to transfer my phone and service into another employees name: 

  1. If this request for transfer stays within your department this should be simply just a name change. Start here: via our Device Assistance service portal

  2. If this person is in another department we will need authorization to make the transfer. 

  3. We will also need understanding and agreement of where to charge (budget number) both ongoing phone service and related equipment costs.



See Also


Article ID: 131693
Tue 4/27/21 1:32 PM
Fri 11/17/23 1:16 PM

Related Services / Offerings (1)

This service is available to assist Ursinus College members with all device hardware and software needs.